Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bloody pet food companies!

I'm helping a woman from the UK with a cat who is experiencing irritable bowel disease symptoms. When I asked what she was feeding the cat, she told me Nature's Menu, 70% meat. I thought to myself, hmmmm, never heard of it, but it may be something that I can suggest to other people.

Nature's Menu is a UK company. Their cat food comes in pouches (warning bells going off at that). I had to do a lot of digging to find the ingredients which are: "Chicken min 43% turkey min 28% minerals, derivatives of veg, origin various sugars." Okay, that tells me a lot, "derivatives of veg?" "origin various sugars?" What the heck does that mean? That the cat, while eating this food, still has diarrhea tells me there's something in the cat food that is not agreeing with him, but with such a cryptic list of ingredients, I can't tell what. I also can't tell whether it's raw food or cooked food given the web site states the food comes from "naturally balanced raw materials."

Real food does not come in pouches.