Sunday, December 31, 2006

Kessie is here!


Still trying to keep up with my New Year's Resolution to write and take photographs regularly. I had intended to take photographs of Wally's baby Boer Goats to add to his website, but it was so overcast yesterday, it wasn't worth it. Hopefully the weather forecast is correct and it will be sunny on Monday.

I rejoined the anti-vaccination list, justsayno, but it wasn't the same. The "magic" was missing. Back in 2003 and 2004, it was a great list, but now, it's just bla. Magda's (a/k/a the Great Magda) list, Truth About Vaccines, isn't much better and when on that list, you need to listen to Magda's mouth, so I elected to ditch that one as well.

Recommending fake rabies certificates, etc. on a public list is just plain stupid as you never know who's lurking on those lists. I don't break the law, my dogs and cats are vaccinated for rabies.

Kessie came to me vaccinated and while I'd rather she wasn't vaccinated, I am not going to risk her purchase price ($700 including transport to me) when I know the Parvo virus is particularly virulent in my area. I'd rather deal with whatever damage the vaccine did to her than to risk Parvo. I am not worried about any of the other viruses dogs and cats may contract, but Parvo, nope, can't deal with that. If I had the ability to take a week or so off from work and nurse a sick puppy through Parvo, that would be a possibility, but I cannot.

I think, maybe, if I breed a litter of Border Collies, and that's unlikely at this point, but if I do, I may not vaccinate for Parvo given I have both the stud and the dam and I can rely on survival of the fittest. If all of the puppies die from Parvo, and of course I would nurse them, then so be it. I would have reasonable control of the health of the sire and dam, the puppies would be weaned on raw, they'd be in a better state of health than a kibble-fed puppy coming from kibble-fed, vaccinated parents.

Damn! I hate switching a kibble-fed puppy to raw. I hate the smell of a kibble-fed puppy. Kessie is going to be striking once she looses that kibble-fed look.

Interestingly, there's a bunch of feral barn cats up at my neighbor's house. I buy him a car-load of cat food for them once a month to help off-set the feeding expenses. Even though they are kibble-fed (and they eat just about anything else up there that's edible), they are gorgeous! One of these days I need to go up there and take photos of them.