Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Update

I have been bad about keeping this blog up to date ... primarily because I've been maintaining a puppy blog, yes, me, with a litter of puppies! If you had asked me six months ago if I'd ever breed a litter of Border Collies I'd tell you, absolutely not. It was hard enough getting cats into natural rearing homes, never mind a breed of dog that usually doesn't make a good pet.

Well, Gel took matters into his own paws on June 9. Midge, a female (bitch) I purchased from a breeder in Idaho was going through a silent heat (cats are not silent while in heat!). Gel knew she was in heat and Midge decided Gel would make a good partner and I came out the morning of June 9, after putting them out for just a few minutes while I was packing up my car to go to a herding trial, and found them tied, with huge smiles on their faces.

Now, could it have happened that Midge didn't take or that she'd only have a couple of puppies? Nope, she delivered nine, yes, nine puppies on August 7. One died at birth and three more got tangled up in the sheets I had in the whelping box and suffocated (while I was at work), so we are down to a manageable five puppies.

Despite myself, I am enjoying it. It is very different from bringing up cats. Check it out. When I have a few minutes, I'll make this Blog as pretty as that one is.